Even although English is a famous language in Vietnam, particularly in massive cities together with Saigon and Hanoi, now not everyone speaks English. From shopping for coffee to creating bills at a mall to talking with a police officer, Vietnamese continues to be the most widely spoken language here in normal lifestyles.
The Vietnamese language can be hard, but you most effective need to understand a few vital Vietnamese terms to get via each day conditions.
Here are some commonplace Vietnamese phrases that you have to get acquainted with for the duration of your stay here.
Suggested Read: wbw quran, houseofquran, all surah in quran, quran list of surahs, how many chapters are in the quran, quran with urdu translation pdf, the chapters of the qur an, surah fatiha english translation pdf
Suggested Read: algebra functions and data analysis, math kangaroo past papers, basic geometry worksheets pdf, algebra 2 formula sheet pdf, geometry formulas pdf, algebra 2 cheat sheet pdf
dua for stress and anxiety, sufism definitie, can i divorce my wife for not sleeping with me, islamic healing prayer, muslim story of creation, are ephemeral tattoos haram
Suggested Read: arabic books for beginners free, learn quranic arabic free, quran tutor online for free, islamic healing prayer, how many rakats in each prayer, ayat kursi in english , dates in arabic
Table of Contents
- Basic Vietnamese phrases that are useful for visitors
- Common Vietnamese phrases and greetings
- 1. Xin chào (Sin chow) – Hello
- 2. Cho tôi hỏi (Cho toy hoi) – Excuse me/May I ask
- 3. Dạ/Không (Dza/Kong) – Yes/No
- 4. Cảm ơn (cam on) – Thank you
- five. Không, cảm ơn (Kong, cam on) – No, thanks!
- 6. Xin lỗi (Xin loy) – I’m sorry
- 7. Bạn khỏe không? (Ban kwae kong) – How are you?
- 8. Tôi khỏe, cảm ơn. (Toy kware, cam on) – I’m first-class, thank you.
- 9. Tạm biệt (Tam biet) – Goodbye
- 10. Giữ gìn sức khỏe! (Ju jin sook kwae) – Take care!
- Vietnamese phrases to introduce your self with
- eleven. Bạn tên là gì? (Ban tain los angeles gi) – What is your call?
- 12. Tôi là….(Toy lah)- I am/My call is….
- thirteen. Tôi đến từ… (Toy dain too…) – I am from…
- 14. Bạn bao nhiêu tuổi? (Ban bao new two-oy?) – How antique are you?
- 15. Tôi không hiểu (Toy kong hew) – I don’t apprehend
- How to keep and make payments in Vietnamese
- sixteen. Xin cho tôi một ___ (Sin cho toy mot) – Can I get one ____ ?
- 17. How to rely from 1 to 10 in Vietnamese
- 18. Bao nhiêu tiền? (Bao new tian?) – How plenty?
- 19. Tôi không có tiền lẻ (Toy kong kor tian lae)- I don’t have smaller notes
- 20. Rẻ hơn chút được không? (Rare bird choot duoc kong) – Can you provide me a reduction?
- 21. Tôi không mang tiền (Toy ko mang tian) – I don’t have coins
- 22. Tôi muốn cà thẻ (Toy muon ka the) – I need to pay by card
- How to ask for directions or locate your way round in Vietnamese
- 23. …. Nằm ở đâu? (…num er dou)/ Where is…?
- 24. Xin cho tôi tới….? (Sin cho toy ter-ee) – I would like to go to…
- Basic Vietnamese terms for foreigners to analyze
While the Vietnamese language is spoken with six tones, don’t worry if you haven’t mastered them yet – we’ll sum them up underneath. Even if you reduce to rubble your tones, comply with the pronunciation guides in brackets and those will understand you primarily based on context.
The six tones of the Vietnamese language are: neutral, falling, falling-growing, high-growing, rising, and coffee-constricted. While pronunciations range by way of area, you can ask a speaker living to your region to mention the phrases under for you, and observe in conjunction with them.
It’s no longer clean to grasp these tones, however you may enhance slowly by way of communicating often with local humans in normal conditions with these Vietnamese terms below, and imitate their pronunciation.
1. Xin chào (Sin chow) – Hello
“Xin chào” might be the primary word you’ll pay attention whilst arriving in the country, and is the maximum easy and commonplace manner to say hi there to someone.
2. Cho tôi hỏi (Cho toy hoi) – Excuse me/May I ask
“Cho tôi hỏi” method “Excuse me” or “May I ask”, and is a word you upload before setting out a question. It makes you sound greater well mannered and allows to get the other person’s interest.
You can upload this word to the start of a number of the questions we’ll teach you beneath.
3. Dạ/Không (Dza/Kong) – Yes/No
In the south of Vietnam, the manner to mention yes is “Dạ”, whilst human beings inside the north use “Vâng”.
“Không”, that is “No” in English, is stated the equal anywhere.
4. Cảm ơn (cam on) – Thank you
Vietnamese humans use this phrase very frequently. It’s also a magic word to help you win greater heat glances from locals.
Try to mention “Cảm ơn” extra to the individuals who offer you with offerings, or to your landlords. People are extra inclined to move the extra mile to assist individuals who say this phrase regularly – so who is aware of, you would possibly become getting reductions or more blessings.
5. Không, cảm ơn (Kong, cam on) – No, thanks!
When you’re provided something, be it in a eating place or at the streets, and also you don’t want to take it, just say “Không, cảm ơn”. There received’t be any difficult emotions.
6. Xin lỗi (Xin loy) – I’m sorry
Vietnamese are very nice and don’t preserve grudges against small matters. But in case you by accident step on their ft or rear-give up them on a hectic road, simply say “Xin lỗi” and they’ll let it pass speedy.
7. Bạn khỏe không? (Ban kwae kong) – How are you?
You can ask the question “Bạn khỏe không?” whilst you want to recognize about the alternative individual’s well-being or reconnect with that man or woman after a long term of no touch.
Unlike within the US or other English-talking nations where “how are you” can be a each day greeting, in Vietnam, this isn’t some thing you are saying to a person you meet each day, along with your colleague or your neighbor. For them, a simple “Xin chào” will do.
8. Tôi khỏe, cảm ơn. (Toy kware, cam on) – I’m exceptional, thanks.
“Tôi khỏe, cảm ơn” is how you solution the “How are you” question in Vietnamese.
9. Tạm biệt (Tam biet) – Goodbye
There are many ways to mention good-bye in Vietnamese, however the most simple one that applies anywhere and in maximum common conditions is “Tạm biệt”.
10. Giữ gìn sức khỏe! (Ju jin sook kwae) – Take care!
“Giữ gìn sức khỏe!” is a phrase you may upload proper after pronouncing “Goodbye”. But this have to handiest be said when you’re parting ways with someone whom you won’t be seeing for a long term.
Vietnamese phrases to introduce yourself with
11. Bạn tên là gì? (Ban tain la gi) – What is your name?
“Bạn tên là gì?” is a popular manner to begin a communique with someone.
12. Tôi là….(Toy lah)- I am/My call is….
“Tôi là…” or “I am…” is the most easy and not unusual manner to introduce your self, your call, your nationality, and your activity.
- I am Jet Lee.
- Tôi là Jet Lee.
- I am Canadian.
- Tôi là người Canada.
Fun reality: for the duration of the COVID-19 outbreak in April, Vietnamese netizens shared their “Tôi là…” non-public slogans to inspire every other to practice social obligation to conquer the pandemic.
13. Tôi đến từ… (Toy dain too…) – I am from…
Fun reality: for the duration of the COVID-19 outbreak in April, Vietnamese netizens shared their “Tôi là…” personal slogans to inspire each other to exercise social responsibility to beat the pandemic.
14. Bạn bao nhiêu tuổi? (Ban bao new two-oy?) – How old are you?
You can ask the query “Bạn bao nhiêu tuổi?” to humans an awful lot more youthful or tons older than you, particularly children. But take our word for it – you need to no longer ask a female in their 20s-50s this question in case she could pick not to reply.
15. Tôi không hiểu (Toy kong hew) – I don’t understand
This word, “Tôi không hiểu”, comes in accessible when you don’t apprehend something. It’s also a subtle way of indicating that you don’t want to preserve the conversation with the individual talking to you.
The maximum commonplace Vietnamese phrases
Studies have proven that understanding as little as one hundred words in Vietnamese will help you realize 50% of any communique in Vietnamese. This is why we are going to attention on the most not unusual Vietnamese phrases first. These ordinary phrases are those you’ll in all likelihood use the maximum on your every day conversations whilst in Vietnam.
- easy — dễ
- difficult — cứng
- excellent — tốt
- awful — tồi tệ
- near — gần
- sure — vâng
- no — không
- (to) have — có
- use — (tôi) dùng
- (to) pass — đi
- (to) come — đến
- (to) chortle — cười to
- (to) make — làm
- like — (tôi) thích
- (to) want — muốn
- (to) take — cầm
- (to) see — nhìn thấy
- far — xa
- small — nhỏ
- large — to
- stunning — đẹp
- unsightly — xấu
- week — tuần
- year — năm
- nowadays — hôm nay
- the next day — ngày mai
- the day prior to this — hôm qua
- hour — giờ
- minute — phút
- time — thời gian
- Monday — thứ hai
- Tuesday — thứ ba
- Wednesday — thứ tư
- Thursday — thứ năm
- Friday — thứ sáu
- Saturday — thứ bẩy
- Sunday — chủ nhật
- one — một
- three — ba
- four — bốn
- 5 — năm
- six — sáu
- seven — bảy
- eight — tám
- 9 — chín
- ten — mười
- what — cái gì
- in which — ở đâu
- who — ai
Basic Vietnamese for Ordering and Eating Food
The food in Vietnam is a center a part of the lifestyle, and in the long run your travels. Vietnam boasts a number of the first-class avenue food inside the world, from Pho to Banh Xeo to Bun Bo Hue. It might be great helpful to recognize a few basic Vietnamese phrases after you begin ordering and tasting all of the various food options.
- Hot/Spicy – Cay (kigh)
- I’m vegetarian – Tôi ăn chay (doi an chayh)
- 1, 2, three, cheers! –Một, hai, ba, vô! (mote, hello, ba, yo)
- Delicious! – Ngon quá (ngon wha)
- No Sugar – Không đường (comb dew-ung)
- Meat –Thịt (thit)
- Fish – Cá (vehicle)
- Eggs – trứng (tchung)
- Milk – sữa (schua)
- Chicken – Gà (gar)
- Beef – Bò (boh)
- Rice – Cơm (curm)
- Beer – Bia (bia)
- How a lot? – Bao nhiêu? (bow nyew)
These common direction-associated useful Vietnamese terms may be handy during your complete ride, specially in case you are taking a Grab bike to get round.
- Where is the rest room? – Nhà vệ sinh ở đâu? (nyah vey sin uh dow)
- Turn Left – Rẽ trái (ray-uh attempt)
- Turn Right – Rẽ phải (ray-uh fy)
- Stop – Dừng lại (yung lie)
- Go – Đi đi (dee dee)
- Slow Down – Chậm lại (pal lie)
Tips for Learning Basic Vietnamese
Practice makes perfect and sometimes we want to mention and hear things out loud several times before it sticks. Keep repeating phrases to your very own and ask native speakers to copy a phrase so you can hear how it’s spoken – that is specifically important with Vietnamese!
Don’t be afraid of looking silly
When you’re getting to know a brand new language, you have to use it in practice. Sometimes, this feels embarrassing, but it’s the mistakes with a purpose to enhance your competency within the language you are mastering. Once you allow your self to let go and ask for help, your confidence with the language will develop. Use your fundamental Vietnamese any chance you have.
Use on-line assets
There are lots of loose on-line gear which include Duolingo and Youtube to help you together with your grammar and pronunciation. If you’re even more serious, you may lease a neighborhood instruct to preserve consistency.