Safa Marwa – Do Sa‘y i.e. walk seven times between As-Safa and Al-Marwah.Sa‘y will start from As-Safa, while coming towards As-Safa read the following Qur’anic Verse:
Innas-Safa wal-Marwata min sha‘a’irillaah. [2:158](Verily As-Safa and Al-Marwah are among the symbols of Allah)
You should climb on As-Safa (If you can) so that you can see Ka‘bah, facing Ka‘bah praise Allah,raising your hands say “Allahu Akbar” three times and then read three times following words(supplications):
La ilaha illallahu wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulk wa lahul-hamd, wa huwa ‘ala kulli shai’i qadeer.(There is no god but Allah, One, He has no partner. His is the sovereignty, to Him praise is due, and He is powerful over anything.) La ilaha illallahu wahdahu anjaza wa‘dahu, wa nasara ‘abdahu, wa hazamal-ahzaba wahdahu.(There is no god but Allah Alone, Who fulfilled His promise and confirmed the truthfulness of His slave and defeated the opponents Himself.)
Before descending from mount As-Safa, pilgrim can make any Du‘a. Now you come down from As-Safa and start walking to Al-Marwah. While going to Al-Marwah, there are two green pillars with green lights. Between these pillars, men should run or move fast, but walk at normal pace before and after the green pillars.
NOTE: Old men, sick people, women can walk at normal pace even between these green pillars.When you reach near Al-Marwah, while climbing or after climbing, recite Allahu Akbar three timesand then repeat the same words three times as you did at As-Safa (this is to be done each time youreach As-Safa and Al-Marwah).
From As-Safa to Al-Marwah makes one round, in this way sevenrounds (3″ round trips) will finish at Al-Marwah. During Sa‘y one should remember Allah andsupplicate in his own words. After Sa‘y i.e. when you finish seven rounds at Al-Marwah, end your Umrah by shaving or cutting hair of head (Cutting of head hair for men should be all around).
Safa Marwa – Women should cut 1-2 cm of haironly (hairs should be cut at the lower end taking care not to expose the hairs in front of men). After Umrah, a person can take off his Ihram and put on normal dress. All the prohibitions related to Ihram are lifted including sexual relations with wife.
Question: What is Ramal?
Answer: Ramal is to walk fast in first three rounds of Tawaf with right shoulder uncovered accompanied by movements of arms and legs to show one’s physical strength and is done by the men only and not by women.
Question: How the Ramal (walking fast during first three rounds of Ka‘bah) started?
Answer: When Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) and his companions came to Makkah from Madinah, the pagans spread the news that Muslims had been weakened by the fever of Yathrib (Al-Madinahh). So the Prophet (Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) ordered his companions to do Ramal in the first three rounds of Tawaf of Ka‘bah to show their physical strength.Ramal is to be done by men only and not by women.
Safa Marwa IMPORTANT NOTE: Concepts about:
- Kissing the Black stone and
- Doing Ramal (to walk fast in the first three rounds of Tawaf with right shoulder uncovered) during Umrah/Hajj:(Sahih Al-Bukhari) Umar said, “I saw Allah’s Messenger arriving at Makkah, he kissed the Black stone corner first while doing Tawaf and did Ramal in the first three rounds of the seven rounds(of Tawaf). Therefore concept is:
- One should kiss the Black stone as Prophet (Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) did and pray to Allah Al-Mighty, but one should also remember what Umar further said as narrated by Abbas bin Rabi‘ah:Umar came near the Black stone and kissed it and said, “No doubt, I know that you are a stone and can neither harm any-one nor benefit any one. Had I not seen Allah’s Messenger kissing you I would not have kissed you.”
- Concept regarding Ramal, Umar said, “There is no reason for us to do Ramal (in Tawaf) except that we wanted to show off (Physical Strength) before the Pagans, and now Allah has destroyed them.”Umar added, “nevertheless.” The Prophet (Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) did that and we don’t want to leave it (i.e. Ramal).
Question:Which animals can be scarified during Hajj?
Answer:The sacrificial animals (Hady) of Hajj are sheep, goat, camel and cow (In case of camel and cow,seven people can share equally).
Question: What are the conditions for the acceptability of the Hady (Sacri-ficial animal)?
Answer:The conditions are:
- The animal must be old enough;a camel should be at least five years old,a cow should be two years old,a goat should be one year old,a sheep can be 6 months old if it is fat and/or healthy
- The animal must be free of defects e.g. one-eyed, lame etc.
Question:What is the proper time and place for slaughtering the Hady?
Answer: Proper time for slaughtering the Hady is on 10th Dhul-Hajjah after Ramy (throwing stones at Jamaratat Mina) or upto three days after i.e. 11th, 12th and 13th Dhul-Hijjah, which are called the days ofTashriq ( which means to cut meat into pieces for drying, which was traditional way of preserving meat which couldn’t be eaten right away).
Safa Marwa – Hady can be slaughtered in Mina or Makkah? What is the difference between Mustahab (desirable) or Wajib (compulsory) sacrifice?
Answer: The Mustahab Hady is that which is sacrificed by a person per-forming Hajjal-Ifrad.The Wajib Hady is for the people performing Hajjal-Qiran and Hajjat-Tamattu‘.
Fiqh us-Sunnah The Book of Hajj (Quranmualim)
Hajj & Tawheed English PDF Eng. (Quranmualim)
Hafiz Abdul Hameed
Master In Islamic Studies
Web Content Writer
Blogger, SEO Expert
WhatsApp: +92 3017363500
1 thought on “What is the importance of Safa Marwa history ?”