- Arafat :An open place about 22.4 km (14 miles) away from Makkah, where all the pilgrims collect on the 9th Dhul – Hijjah (Hajj day).
- As-Safa & Al-Marwah: Two hills in Al-Masjid Al-Haram, Makkah.
- Fidyah: Compensation for a missed or wrongly practised religious obligation as in Hajj.
- Al-Hajar al-Aswad: This is a stone (from Heaven) fixed in one corner of Ka‘bah, when Ka‘bah was built by ProphetIbrahim and Prophet Ismael (peace be upon them).
- Hajj :Pilgrimage to Makkah during the prescribed time in the month of Dhul – Hijjah.
- Hajj Days: 8th to 13th Dhul-Hijjah8th
- Dhul-Hijjah — Yaum At-Tarwiyah- when the pilgrims leave Makkah for Mina.9th
- Dhul-Hijjah — Yaumal-Hajj (Hajj day at Arafat).10th
- Dhul-Hijjah — Yauman-Nahr (Day of Sacrifice).11th,12th, 13th
- Dhul-Hijjah — Ayyamat – Tashriq.
- Hajj al-Ifrad: Type of Hajj where one makes an intention of Hajj only.
- Hajj al-Qiran: Umrah and Hajj performed together in the same Ihram.
- Hajj at-Tamattu: Umrah and Hajj performed with a break between the two (performing Umrah-Tawaf, Sa‘y,shaving/cutting head hair short and taking off the Ihram clothes and coming out of Ihram, then puttingon Ihram clothes and entering in the state of Ihram again for Hajj).
- Halq: Shaving hair of head.
- Haram: Sanctuaries of Makkah andAl-Madinahh.
- Ihram: Ihram clothes and making Niyyah (intention) for Hajj / Umrah.
- Ihram Clothes: Two sheets of unstitched white cloth, Rida (upper body cover), Izar (lower body cover).
- Jabalar-Rahmah: Mount of Mercy at Arafat.
- Jamarat: Pillars for stoning:Jamrah Oola (First small pillar)Jamrah Wusta (middle pillar)Jamrah Aqabah or al-Kubra (Last big pillar)
- Ka‘bah: Cube-shaped structure in Al-Masjid Al-Haram, Makkah, towards which all muslims face in Salat(prayer).
- Madinahh: City where Prophet’s mosque and prophet’s grave are present. Madinahh is about 410km fromMakkah. It was formerly called Yathrib.
- Mahram: Mahram is either Husband or close male relatives, whom women according to Shari‘ah cannot marry,like father, brother, son, uncle.
- Makkah: City where there is Al-Masjid Al-Haram and one travels to perform Umrah / Hajj. Makkah is about100km away from Jeddah International Airport.
- Maqam Ibrahim: The stone on which Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) stood while he and his son Prophet Isma‘ilwere building the Ka‘bah.
- Mu‘allim: Person who takes care and guides the Pilgrims.
- Meeqat: The Fixed places on approach to Makkah from where Ihram clothes are put on and Niyyah (intention)is made. You cannot cross Meeqat without Ihram clothes and making Niyyah (intention), if you aredoing Umrah / Hajj.
- Mina: Place about 8 km (5 miles) away from Makkah where pilgrim has to stay during Hajj days.
- Muhrim: Person who assumes the state of Ihram for the purpose of performing the Hajj or
- Muzdalifah: Place between Mina and Arfat. It is about 3 km away from mina.
- Nahr: Sacrifice of an animal.
- Qasr: Cutting head hair short.
- Ramal:To walk fast in the first three rounds of Tawaf with right shoulder uncovered. (Ramal is for men onlyduring Tawafal- Qudoom or Tawafal-Umrah)
- Ramy: That is to throw stones/pebbles at Jamarat (3 pillars) at Mina.
- Sa‘y:Seven rounds between As-Safa & Al-Marwah in Al-Masjid Al-Haram Makkah during the performance of Hajj and Umrah.
- Taharah: Ablution
- Takbir: Allahu Akbar
- Talbiyah: Du‘a which is recited loudly by men after putting on Ihram. Women have to recite in low voice.
- Tawaf: Seven rounds around Ka‘bah.
- Tawafal-Ifadah: Also called Tawafaz-Ziyarah or Tawafal-Hajj, done by the pilgrims after they come from Mina on10th day of Dhul-Hijjah. This Tawaf is one of the essentials of Hajj.
- Tawafal-Qudoom: Tawaf of arrival.
- Tawafal-Umrah :Person intending to do Umrah, who makes Tawaf on entering Makkah, this Tawaf is known asTawafal-Umrah.
- Tawafal-Wida :Farewell Tawaf.
- Umrah:To put on Ihram and making Niyyah at Meeqat, go to Makkah, Sacred Mosque, to perform Tawafaround Ka‘bah, Sa‘y between As-Safa and Al-Marwah and then shaving one’s head hair or cuttingthem short.
- Zam Zam Water:Water from the well of Zamzam (it is available in water coolers in the Haram for the convenience of pilgrims).
- Zam Zam:The sacred well inside the Haram (the grand Mosque) at Makkah.
A Brief Guide to the Rites of Hajj and Umrah PDF
Hajj & Umra by Tahir ul Qadri (Quranmualim)
About CEO Al-Asad Online
Hafiz Abdul Hameed
Master In Islamic Studies
Web Content Writer
Blogger, SEO Expert
WhatsApp: +92 301736350